March 10, 2017
It’s Friday and here is recap of a few of my favorite memories of the week.
1. Lila’s restaurant redemption. A few weeks I ago I shared my disappointment about my first visit to Lila’s in downtown Sarasota. I loved the aesthetics of the restaurant. An open bar area, subway tiled backdrops, high ceilings and refurbished, yet retro minimalism. I just didn’t care for my meal. True to my word, I gave it another try this week. Redemption time. I met a friend there for lunch it was amazing. We shared Bean Tostados with red cabbage and avocados and the Macro bowl. Let’s just say I have a new crush. It’s the macro bowl. Packed with perfectly cooked cumin-spiced carrot cubes, chickpeas, cauliflower, sautéed, zucchini and pickled over a bed of wild rice won me over. It’s a must-try!
2. Going to the gym. I haven’t been to the gym in ages. Yes, I run and work out, I just haven’t been to a class or lifted weights in a long time and my scrawny arms are a testament to this truth. My plan was to go three mornings, but I only made it one morning. I’ll settle for baby steps.
3. Shoes. Several weeks ago, my boss mentioned some students in her sister’s Kindergarten class desperately needed shoes. I had just bought two shoe options for Lady Elle so we decided to give the pair she didn’t want to a child who needed them.This week, her sister texted me a picture of the little girl wearing the shoes. It made my day! I’m not sharing a picture of the girl in her shoes because I don’t have permission to do so, but I’m sharing a picture of Lady Elle’s favorite kicks in honor of her sacrifice so the other little girl could also have a pair of “cool” shoes.
4. Chagall Exhibition at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. Yep, I’m talking about that Chagall, Marc Chagall the painter. Several of his nature paintings are on view at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. They’ve created an entire French Riviera immersion throughout the gardens. The entire experience is breathtaking and, for a moment, I feel like I’m in Provence and, for that, I’m grateful.
5. Lent report card. I’m not Catholic, but I do go to church and I like to challenge myself to be a better person. This year I got a little ambitious. Okay, some might say a lot ambitious, anywho, I vowed to give up processed foods, sweets and wine. Well, I guess I couldn’t give up wine totally or else I wouldn’t be able to bring you my Wine of the Week series, so I compromised and am limiting myself to a glass on the weekends. I’m on day 11 of lent and I’m giving myself a score of 90%. I did have an extra glass at an 80th birthday party last weekend and I’m blaming it on the birthday boy. Hey, if he’s lived this long and is having a second or third glass, who am I to question the number I have? Are you with me here? I also celebrated a friend’s birthday with a slice of her mother’s homemade Columbian cake. It was worth the splurge. In the end my word of the year is “grace” so I’m not being too hard on myself if I slip a little. Life’s about living.
What are some of your favorites from the week? Cheers and have a great weekend!