Being raised a Virginia girl, I miss the four seasons. I’m jealous of all of the fall pictures I see this time of the year. Hello #PSL! Honestly, I didn’t appreciate fall when I was a child. It meant shorter days and cold weather was near. Now that I’m an adult living in the Sunshine State, I crave the change in scenery- colored leaves, apple cider donuts, jacket weather and pumpkin patches. You get the picture.
Let me be honest here though, I only want to experience the goodness of fall for about a month and then I’m over it. So I make it a point to decorate with pumpkins and hay, drink #PSL and maybe even head out of town to take Lady Elle and Mr. E&G to experience colored leaves. I love every minute of it, but everything really is better in small doses.
And so it goes, for better or for worse, I’ve become a Florida girl right down to loving the month of October and here’s why.
1. Good bye heat and humidity, hello sweet glorious temperatures. I always say September is like March up north—overstaying its welcome. By golly by mid-October heat and humidity give way to temps in the 70’s and I actually want to be outside. There’s still even enough time to play outside after work and school before daylight savings time begins.
2. Fall festivals. Even in Florida we have amazing fall festivals with all of the decorations and I love going to them. I just wear skirts and short boots instead of jeans and jackets.
3. I don’t have to rake leaves! It’s the consolation prize for not having the leaves change color. Fair game. I don’t miss it. Ever.
4. Stone crab season. I grew up feasting on Chesapeake Bay blue crabs and there is no comparison really, but these sweet, luscious crab claws have earned second place in my heart. Seriously, they are the crème de la crème of Florida seafood.
5. Florida Gator football. This one is really Mr. E&G’s favorite part of October, aside from our anniversary, of course. When I met Mr. E&G I had sworn I’d never date a Florida Gator, let alone marry one (I’ll save that story for another day). Well, never say never. It’s been 11 years and I’m a Florida Gator fan bleeding orange and blue on Saturday afternoons. Even when they aren’t that good. Umm…2016.
Are y’all with me?